Skip to Content

Blog Archives

Toys are More Dangerous Than Cars and Electrical Appliances

Toys are More Dangerous Than Cars and Electrical AppliancesKids are exposed to a lot of risks and dangers on a daily basis, and it’s up to the parents and the general public to ensure their safety. Unfortunately, one of the most common causes of accidents and health concerns comes from something that looks innocent at first – I’m talking about your children’s toys.

Toys come in various shapes, sizes, and orientations. While some are soft and delicate enough to be handled by young children, others aren’t so safe. This is the reason why the Consumer Product Safety Commission maintains toy safety standards that manufacturers and businesses need to comply with.

Dangers Caused By Toys

The reality is that some toys are more dangerous than vehicles and electrical home appliances! Here are some of the most common dangers that kids get exposed to when handling toys:

Choking

Toddlers are naturally curious, and most of them inadvertently chew and lick their toys. This may eventually become a choking hazard, especially those that are small enough to fit into their tiny mouths.

Electrocution or electrical shock

Some powered toys can cause electrocution. In addition, faulty circuits in the toys may lead to fires, while leaking batteries may cause poisoning.

Suffocation

Your child’s toys may have strings and cords that can tangle their necks and strangle them accidentally. Meanwhile, some kids may be curious enough to stick their heads into plastic packaging materials and cause suffocation or asphyxiation.

Allergy

Some toys may contain powders and vapors that may trigger allergies, and this may lead to breathing problems in kids.

Injuries

Toys that have sharp edges, pointy corners, and slippery surfaces may increase the risk of cuts and slips at home. This is especially true for children who are handling toys way advance than what they can handle at their age.

Final Word

In order to protect your children from toy dangers, the best precautionary tips that you can implement in your home include reading toy labels for safety ratings and age appropriateness; buying toys that are non-toxic and hypoallergenic; choosing toys that are not choking or suffocation hazards; and disposing toys that are already defective.

When living with kids, safety should always be at the top of the priority list. By giving them toys that are safe and age-appropriate, you can provide the best kind of fun that children are looking for. Our team of electricians are Wire Craft can help make sure your home is safe for appliances and devices. Reach out to us today.

0 0 Continue Reading →

4 Warnings an Electrical Fire May Occur in Your Home

warning signs of electrical fires in your home

Fire departments in the United States respond to nearly 30,000 home electrical fires each year, and these fires cause more than $1 billion in property damage – not to mention tragic loss of life and preventable injuries. We’ve outlined the most common causes of home fires below so that you can take necessary precautions.

1.Damaged Goods

One major source of fire are electrical cords with damage. Nicked or cut cords, a cord separating from the plug, and cords with any exposed wiring are all causes for concern. Many hardware stores will repair the cords for you, and they also sell a do-it-yourself kit. Avoid running cords across doorways or under rugs or carpets since they are more easily damaged under heavy foot traffic.

We recommend having a professional electrician add outlets to alleviate use of extension cords. Damaged Christmas light electrical cords present a particularly dangerous home hazard, and account for a large number of home fires in December and January. Making sure your light cords are not damaged, that the lights are properly plugged in, and that they are not left on a dry tree are all great preventative measures… And never leave Christmas lights plugged in when you are away from home for an extended period of time!

2.TR Outlets

Tamper-resistant (TR) electrical outlets are a necessity in homes with small children or curious pets. Most new building codes now require ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), but if your home is older, make sure you have these, especially in bathrooms, kitchen, laundry areas, basement, and outdoor areas – any place there are faucets or other water sources.

3.Connection Overload Causing Electrical Fires

Outlets cannot handle 10 or 12 items at one time. So, definitely avoid outlet overload. Electrical products come with manufacturer instructions for plugging the device into an outlet, and for high-wattage appliances, only plug that one item into an outlet at any given time. A tried and true test is that if the outlet feels warm or have discoloration. It likely have an overload and possibly has damage, so in this case, calling a qualified electrician is the best idea.

4.Heat Equal Fire

Lamps should always be in safe areas, away from things that can burn. This includes curtains, and paper. Only use a light bulb that matches the recommended wattage for the lamp. This is typically very visible inside or near the lamp’s bulb socket.

Electrical fires are completely preventable. The smart and responsible thing you can do is to schedule a home check with one of our qualified electricians.

0 0 Continue Reading →