Got an electrical concern that needs immediate attention? If you recently encountered something amiss in your electricals within your house, it might be time to ask for the help of an electrician.
On the other hand, while your home electrical system may look like it’s running smoothly, it probably won’t hurt to ask your trusted electrician about it as well.
Things You Can Ask Your Electrician
Here are five questions that you may ask an electrical contractor in terms of electrical concerns at home.
1. Do you have a license?
One of the first things you need to ask any electrician before working on your home is a license to carry out such work. Contractors who are licensed to carry out electrical work give you the assurance that your electrical concern will be attended to by a professional.
2. Are you insured?
Another factor that separates good electricians from the sketchy ones is whether they offer an insurance for the work that they do. The electrical professional should be able to present an insurance policy when you ask it from them. This is critical, in case something goes awry during the job.
3. How long will the job take?
Time is of the essence when it comes to electrical work – especially in the case of electrical fires or frequent flickering of lights. Don’t hesitate to ask the electrician about the duration of the work.
Knowing how long the job will take brings a lot of benefits:
- You have an idea when you can use the electrical system again.
- You can assign people who will stay at home while the work is ongoing (especially if you need to go to work).
- You will know when to keep kids away from the area and when they are safe to return.
- You can estimate how big the problem is, and perhaps prepare yourself in terms of expenditure.
4. Can you give me a cost estimate?
Speaking of expenses, don’t be afraid to ask the contractor for a cost estimate. You are allowed to refuse them if the total cost goes beyond your budget.
Having said that, you can do any of these things if you feel like the cost is too high:
- Ask for a reconsideration of the offer
- Ask which parts are important and which ones may be delayed for future attention
- Look for another electrical contractor to ask for their price quotation
5. Do you offer free assessment?
Most electrical contractors offer free checkup of your electrical system, and will only bill you as soon as you’ve agreed on the course of action to take.
It’s perfectly alright to ask your electrician some tough questions. After all, handling your home electrical system is no light matter. Feel free to ask us at Wire Craft Electric, in case you have electrical queries that you need to be answered.