8 Warning Signs of Electrical Wiring Problems
You might have signs of electrical wiring problems, and you don’t even know it.
Here are eight signs of electrical wiring problems, so you will know about them when the time comes.
Lots of modern homes are built with modern circuit breakers that have replaced having a fuel box. It’s very common for a circuit breaker to trip and to turn off a circuit automatically. If this happens, you will probably only have to put the switch back. If a circuit breaker trips often though, you might be overloading its safety capacity.
Dimming or flickering lights
This is a common problem in older homes, especially the homes that have modern appliances like microwave ovens and things like that. Sometimes a flickering lamp is the problem, and in this case, you should test the lighting fixture that’s in question in an outlet that’s different from its normal one.
If your lamp buzzes when you turn it on, it’s probably just because of a bad wire. However, if you feel a slight shock or buzz when you turn it on, it could be the beginning of a serious electrical problem, and it would probably be a good idea to have it checked out by an electrician.
Electrical outlets should never be hot to the touch, so if they are, that could be the beginning of a serious electrical problem and you should probably get it checked out.
Ground fault circuit interrupters
These are required by code and they should be tested regularly. If one of yours isn’t working properly, it could be a sign of faulty wiring in your home.
Faulty cable splices
These could be a sign of bad wiring, and you should get it checked out.
This is only typical for older homes, but there is a chance it could still be an issue for you if you have bought an older home.
The odor of burning
If you smell burning plastic of vinyl, then that is definitely the sign that you have faulty wiring in your home and you need to get it fixed right away.